Academic event 2012
Day 1: 20 September 2012
8:30-8:45 Registration at Hotel Hyatt Regency
8:45-9:00 Welcome remarks
9:00-9:30 Keynote speech no 1: Thierry Balzacq, Université de Louvain and Sciences Po Paris
9:30-9:45 Small Coffee Break
9:45-11:15 Panel no. 1: Security Community in the Western Balkans: past, present, future
- Jelena Subotic, Assistant Professor at the Department of Political Science, Georgia State University, USA. Paper: “The past is not yet over: Remembrance, justice and security community in the Western Balkans”.
- Rebecca J. Cruise, Political Science, University of Oklahoma, USA. Paper: “Regional Security Community in the Western Balkans: A Cross-Comparative Analysis”.
- Danko Aleksic, Expert on Sustainable Consumption and Production – Sustainable Use of Resources, The Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe, Hungary Paper: “Energy Security as a possible basis for Establishing Security Community in SEE”.
- Anton Bebler, Professor of Political Science at Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. Paper: “Regional Security in South East Europe”.
11:15-11:45 Coffee Break
11:45-12:15 Keynote speech no 2: Dimitar Bechev, European Studies Centre, St Antony's College
12:15-13:45 Panel no. 2 Professional Practices of Security Community Building in the Western Balkans
- Kenan Dautovic, Associate Professor at the Department for Security and Peace Studies, Faculty of Political Science, University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Paper: “Towards Security Community in Western Balkans: Bosnia and Herzegovina Military’s Perspective”.
- Sandro Knezovic, Research Fellow at the Institute for International Relations, Paper: “Croatia's Police and Security Community Building in the Western Balkans”.
- Cvete Koneska, DPhil Student in Politics at University of Oxford, UK. Paper: “From regional police cooperation to security community”.
- Arjan Dyrmishi, Senior Researcher at the Institute for Democracy and Mediation, Albania. Paper: “Diplomacy and Security Community in the Western Balkans”.
13:45-15:00 Lunch break
15:00-16:30 Panel no. 3 Communities of Security Practices in the Age of Uncertainty
- John Karlsrud, Research Fellow at Norwegian Institute of International Relations, Oslo, Norway. Paper: “Harnessing Serbian Civilian Capacity for Peace Support Operations: A Nascent Community of Practice”.
- Christian Bueger, Lecturer at Cardiff School of European Studies, UK. Paper: “Sea Breeze: Piracy, Communities of Security Practice and the Western Indian Ocean Region”.
- Alexandra Gheciu, Associate Professor, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, University of Ottawa, Canada. Paper: “Communities of Private Security Practice”.
- Jelica Stefanovic-Stambuk, Professor at the Faculty of Political Sciences, University of Belgrade, Serbia. Paper: “Hinting at the practice of sociodiplomacy while spelling out ‘slow diplomacy’: New on the Repertoire of Building Sustainable Security Community in the Euro-Atlantic region”.